Our thanks to the many people who have made this project possible by contributing their time and expertise.
Core Teacher Team: K-12 Instructors
Map, Art & Design
- John W Dunham, Cartographer, Kansas Geological Survey
- Nancy Lehenbauer Marshall, Exhibit Artist
- Laura Zimney, Exhibit Graphic Designer
- Ron Scott, Exhibit Printer
Flint Hills Discovery Center Foundation (FHDCF)
- Bruce Snead, President: Bruce assists in establishing FHDCF relationship with program as fiscal sponsor and oversees program within mission and activities of FHDCF.
- V. Marie Martin, Esq. Development Manager: As a Development Manager, Marie serves as FHDCF liaison with the program, assists in establishing and defining FHDCF relationship and developing administrative procedures with program, provides financial information on FHDCF as fiscal sponsor for Map and Education Program fund-raising and in an ongoing capacity, facilitates program operations with FHDCF especially on financial and procedural issues.
Flint Hills Discovery Center Staff
- Susan Adams, Director: In this role, Susan initially examine and approve project. Assist in developing direction of project to serve needs of FHDC: to create a visual presence of FHDC in all schools through wall exhibit, to enhance virtual presence of FHDC through expansion of FHDC website, to increase capacity for FHDC outreach to schools and the public, to create a curriculum to deepen student understanding of the region, to develop an interactive educational network between with educators, to identify and create special relationships with educators who demonstrate a special commitment to the region through use of the curriculum, and to establish FHDC as a center of research for teachers, students and public. Assist in establishing program procedures for FHDC/FHDCF relationship. Serve as liaison with FHDC Foundation. In an ongoing capacity: oversee program operations within mission and activities of Flint Hills Discovery Center.
- Stephen Bridenstine, Public Program Coordinator: In this role Stephen serves as a liaison with program on educational issues and website. Assist in establishing FHDC relationship with program and program educational direction. Work with Project Coordinator and web designer to create program section of website. Oversee dynamic BLOG component of website. Serve as liaison with Teacher Advisory Committee on website content. Assist in promoting use of the program through outreach, training, and networking with educators.
- Roy Garrett, Exhibits/Operations Manager: In this role Roy provides critical assistance and advice on design of exhibit and installation systems including hardware, facing, backing. Assists in choosing and ordering installation supplies. Conduct actual initial installations and assist in developing set of installation instructions for schools. Advises on exhibit maintenance instructions.
- Megan Berry, Marketing Coordinator: In this role, Megan assists the program with website and public relations.
Flint Hills Advisors
Chief Technical Advisor
- Brian Obermeyer, Conservation Biologist: Landscape Programs Manager/Flint Hills Initiative Director, The Nature Conservancy: On a nearly weekly basis, fulfilled countless requests including assisting with interpretation of technical resources, locating numerous versions of data, advising on map design, reviewing language, contributing to development of educational materials, and much more.
Our deepest thanks to the following experts in many fields who have contributed their expertise, partnered with us, and advised and encouraged us, so that we all can learn more about our wonderful home, the Flint Hills.
- Janelle Brazington, Vice President of Administration. Kansas Action for Children.
- Heather Brown, Chief of Interpretation: Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve
- Jeff Davidson, Watershed Specialist, K-State Research and Extension, formerly Greenwood County Extension Agent
- Laura Downey, Executive Director: Kansas Association for Conservation and Environmental Education (KACEE)
- Thomas Eddy, Entomologist and botanist, Professor of Biology, Emporia State University
- Dale Kirkham, Rancher, Greenwood County, Former Greenwood County District Conservationist for Natural Resource Conservation Service, and Field Organizer for Clean Water Farm and River Friendly Farm Projects, Kansas Rural Center
- Katie Hancock, Former Rangeland Management Specialist for Greenwood and Cowley County Natural Resource Conservation Service, and Science Teacher, formerly at Manhattan High School
- John Harrington, Jr., Coordinator, Kansas Geographic Alliance, Professor and former Department Head, Department of Geography, Kansas State University.
- Jim Hoy, Director, Center for Great Plains Studies, Emporia State University Professor of Literature, folklorist, author, cowboy
- Kelly Kindscher, Senior Scientist and Professor, Kansas Biological Survey and the Environmental Studies Program, University of Kansas, Plant Ecologist, Ethnobotanist, Native Plant Enthusiast, Author
- Ron Klataske, Executive Director, Audubon of Kansas. Managing Editor, Prairie Wings
- Ronald Parks, Author, Kansas historian, former Site Administrator, Kaw Mission State Historic site
- Larry and Vicki Patton, Ranchers and former educators, Butler Community College and Circle High School, USD No. 375
- James E. Sherow, Professor of Environmental, Kansas and U.S. Western History, Kansas State University
- Jan Slaats, Geographic Information Systems Manager, The Nature Conservancy North America Region Science Team, Minneapolis, MN
- Erika Stanley, Water Resource Planner, Kansas Water Office
- Emily Wilson, Flint Hills artist and teacher. Early childhood education.