Bus on Us!
The Freedom's Frontier National Heritage Area (FFNHA) Bus on Us! is a grant program to help schools and educators with up to $250 in reimbursed transportation costs to partner sites when the education program aligns with Freedom's Frontier's themes. Grants are distributed on a first come, first serve basis.
To take advantage of this program:
1. Schedule a field trip with us and select one of the four eligible programs:
- Flint Hills Exploration (K-2nd grade) - Choose the areas of the Flint Hills that you want to explore-history, geology, ecology, or a combination.
- Cowboys & Cattle Cars: The Making of the Flint Hills (3rd-5th grade) - In this interactive classroom game, students role play as cowboys driving hungry cattle to market, making important decisions along the way that determines the outcome.
- The Natural Economy (6th-8th grade) - In this historical economy game, students establish their team enterprise in ranching and farming and explore opportunities the Flint Hills offered, all while deciding which lifestyle strategies to employ.
- Exhibit Exploration (3rd-12th grade) - Through interactive scavenger hunts and guided activity sheets, students of all ages will discover the culture of the Flint Hills that settlers established moving west during the 19th century.
2. Fill out the Bus on Us! grant application. Please submit your application to FFNHA a minimum of two weeks prior to your trip.
- All of our eligible programs align with the Shaping the Western Frontier FFNHA theme.
- Information from the program descriptions can be used in your application.
3. Visit the Discovery Center for your field trip and education program.
4. Submit a close-out report and all other necessary documentation to FFNHA within 14 calendar days of completing the field trip to receive transportation reimbursement.